Hip Academy | Lateral Hip and Buttock Pain
- You must enrol in this course to access course content.
Diagnosis and management of lateral hip and buttock pain
Lateral hip and particularly buttock pain can often present diagnostic dilemmas and management challenges.
This course examines the various joint-related, soft tissue-related and nerve-related conditions associated with lateral hip and buttock pain, their mechanisms, clinical diagnostic tests and management approaches.
- 6 hours of online video tutorials
- Downloadable PDF notes
- 3-months unlimited access
- Downloadable professional development certificate
This course aims to
- Clarify definitions and diagnoses of lateral hip and buttock pain
- Explore factors which may influence loads across the lateral hip and buttock and predispose to intra or extra-articular impingement, such as:
- morphological variants (e.g. bony structure, soft tissue – neural relationships)
- adverse soft tissue loading associated with kinematics and neuromotor function (focus on hip abductors and short external rotators).
- Provide an overview of key load management and therapeutic exercise strategies for lateral hip and buttock pain, particular to the patient presentation and associated difficulties with mechanical load transfer.
- Provide an update on scientific evidence for underlying diagnostic and management approaches.
Dr Alison Grimaldi
With over 25 years of clinical experience and particular expertise in the management of hip, groin and lumbo-pelvic pain and dysfunction, Dr Alison Grimaldi is Principal Physiotherapist at Physiotec and an Adjunct Senior Research Fellow at the University of Queensland. View profile