Online Hip Workshop | Lateral Hip and Buttock Pain | 2023
June 24, 2023 - June 25, 2023AUD $385.00
Contemporary diagnostic & management strategies for Lateral Hip & Buttock Pain
Online hip course for physiotherapists, and other health professionals
Suitable for physiotherapists and other health professionals involved in diagnosis and rehabilitation of patients with lateral hip or buttock pain.
Do you have a strategy for working through differential diagnoses and management planning for lateral hip or buttock pain?
This Online Hip Workshop provides solutions for both common and complex presentations of lateral hip and buttock pain.
• 6 hours of PowerPoint lessons with printable notes
• 6 x weekly emails to guide your progress, leading up to the live event
• Culminating in 6 hours (2 x 3 hr sessions) of live zoom sessions
• 6 weeks access to recordings of the live workshop event
Lateral hip and particularly buttock pain can often present a diagnostic dilemma. The lumbar spine and sacroiliac joints may refer into these regions; intra-articular hip pathologies may be accompanied by lateral hip &/or buttock pain; local soft tissues & neural structures may be primary sources of nociception. The first step is determining the most likely contributors to the patient’s pain presentation.
Developing an optimal management program with positive effects past the short term, will also require an evaluation of physical & psychological drivers. Intrinsic & extrinsic factors should be considered within the overall context of workload. While non-modifiable factors (e.g. bony morphology) are by nature unable to be modified, awareness of these factors can be integral to providing advice and interventions (active or passive) that ‘do no harm’ and development of strategies that allow maximal function with minimisation of adverse effects.
Hip conditions you will be able to better assess and manage after this hip workshop:
- Gluteal tendinopathy and associated conditions such as ‘trochanteric bursitis’ (Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome – GTPS)
- Proximal hamstring tendinopathy
- Posterior hip instability
- Posterior Femoroacetabular Impingement Syndrome
- Extra-articular impingement
- Ischiofemoral impingement
- Greater trochanter – ischial impingement
- Greater trochanter – pelvic impingement
- Nerve related posterior hip pain – Deep Gluteal Syndrome (including Piriformis Syndrome)
The substantial theoretical component of this course is presented in an online learning format for your flexibility and optimal learning experience. To keep everyone on track to have completed this content prior to the live workshop, you will receive an email series to guide you through this content. This will involve a time commitment of approximately 1 hour per week. You will receive 6 weekly emails to guide your progress through the online learning component. You will also be free to go ahead or review any of the lessons over the following 3-month period.
• 6 hours of online lectures with printable notes.
• Learn anywhere, at your own pace, in your own time.
• Benefit from a guided reminder series of emails to ensure you complete the content
• Rewind and revise as many times as you like.
• Online forum for discussion.
• Self-assessment quiz.
• 3 months of unlimited access to video content
Aims of the Online Component
The online component aims to:
• Clarify definitions and diagnoses of lateral hip and buttock pain
• Explore factors which may influence loads across the lateral hip & buttock and predispose to intra or extra-articular impingement, such as:
a. morphological variants (e.g. bony structure, soft tissue – neural relationships)
b. adverse soft tissue loading associated with kinematics and neuromotor function (focus on hip abductors and short external rotators).
• Provide an overview of key load management and therapeutic exercise strategies for lateral hip and buttock pain, particular to the patient presentation and associated difficulties with mechanical load transfer.
• Provide an update on scientific evidence for underlying diagnostic and management approaches
Live Online Workshop
The live online workshop will be provided as 2 x 3 hour live zoom sessions. The shorter sessions allow for greater flexibility and avoid participant fatigue with prolonged online course attendance. Due to time-zone differences, the workshops will be repeated at either end of the day on both Saturday and Sunday.
There will be 2 sessions each day, repeating the same content, so you will have an opportunity to choose one session on each day that best suits you:
Australian Eastern Time, AET at 9:00 am – 12:00pm AEST
New Zealand Standard Time, NZST at 11:00 am – 2:00pm NZST
British Summer Time, BST at 12:00 – 3:00am BST
Universal Time Coordinated UTC at 23:00 – 2.00am UTC
Australian Eastern Time, AET at 5:00 – 8:00pm AEST
New Zealand Standard Time, NZST at 7:00 -10:00 pm NZST
British Summer Time, BST at 8:00-11:00am BST
Universal Time Coordinated UTC at 7:00 – 10:00am UTC
To convert these dates & times to your local time, simply convert from Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) using a time converter like this one: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
The online workshop will guide participants through diagnostic tests and management strategies for lateral hip and buttock pain. There is now high-quality evidence for assessment and management of gluteal tendinopathy from the ‘LEAP’ lateral hip pain randomised clinical trial, of which Alison was a key investigator. Participants will receive first-hand instruction on techniques, advice regarding how best to apply this approach in clinical practice and valuable troubleshooting for slow or non-responders.
The workshop with then delve into the other lesser-known problems associated with buttock pain that may present diagnostic and management challenges – posterior joint instability, bony impingements, peripheral nerve entrapments and musculotendinous overload. Understanding the impact of bony morphology, soft tissue interfaces and postural and movement patterns is critical to optimal management of these conditions.
Day 1 – 24th June: Assessment & Management of Joint Related Pain, Bony Impingements & Nerve Related Pain
Day 1 Session Options
Australian Eastern Time, AET Sat, 24 June 2023 at 9:00 am – 12:00pm AEST
New Zealand Standard Time, NZST Sat, 24 June 2023 at 11:00 am – 2:00pm NZST
British Summer Time, BST Sat, 24 June 2023 at 12:00 (midnight Friday night) – 3:00am BST
Corresponding UTC Fri, 23 June 2023 at 23:00 – 2:00am UTC
Australian Eastern Time, AET Sat, 24 June 2023 at 5:00 – 8:00pm AEST
New Zealand Standard Time, NZST Sat, 24 June 2023 at 7:00 -10:00 pm NZST
British Summer Time, BST Sat, 24 June 2023 at 8:00-11am BST
Corresponding UTC Sat, 24 June 2023 at 07:00 – 10:00am UTC
What we cover on Day 1 – Lateral Hip & Buttock Pain Online Workshop
• Recognising different conditions through patient presentation, interview and physical tests.
• Demonstration of formal diagnostic tests for posterior hip instability, ischiofemoral & other bony impingements.
• Demonstration of formal diagnostic tests for nerve impingements with focus on sciatic nerve impingements (deep gluteal syndrome/piriformis syndrome).
• Telehealth assessment strategies for joint instability, bony impingements and nerve assessment – which we will all do together.
• Load management & exercise therapy for posterior hip instability versus ischiofemoral impingement.
• Special focus on deep external rotator exercises for these conditions – I will let you know beforehand what very simple equipment you need to have on hand.
• Load management & exercise therapy for sciatic nerve impingement and how this will vary depending on drivers and impairments.
• Time for questions
Day 2 – 25th June: Assessment & Management of Soft Tissue Related Pain
Day 2 Session Options
Australian Eastern Time, AET Sun, 25 June 2023 at 9:00 am – 12:00pm AEST
New Zealand Standard Time, NZST Sun, 25 June 2023 at 11:00 am – 2:00pm NZST
British Summer Time, BST Sun, 25 June 2023 at 12:00 – 3:00am BST
Corresponding UTC Sat, 24 June 2023 at 23:00 – 2.00am
Australian Eastern Time, AET Sun, 25 June 2023 at 5:00 – 8:00pm AEST
New Zealand Standard Time, NZST Sun, 25 June 2023 at 7:00 -10:00 pm NZST
British Summer Time, BST Sun, 25 June 2023 at 8:00-11am BST
Corresponding UTC Sun, 25 June 2023 at 07:00
What we cover on Day 2 – Lateral Hip & Buttock Pain Online Workshop
• Diagnostic assessment of proximal hamstring tendinopathy – combination of demonstration & try on yourself telehealth assessments.
• Load management and exercise therapy for proximal hamstring tendinopathy.
• Diagnostic assessment of gluteal tendinopathy – combination of demonstration & try on yourself telehealth assessments.
• Load management and exercise therapy for gluteal tendinopathy.
• Practice all key weightbearing exercises – I will let you know beforehand what very simple equipment you need to have on hand.
• Step-by-step troubleshooting for failure to progress, and advice on how to alter programs for more complex presentations e.g., patients presenting with additional hip joint conditions and/or lower back pain.
• Addressing expectations – your patient’s expectations and your own.
• Time for questions
These sessions will be recorded and you will be provided with access to these for a further 6 weeks after the live session. Even if you are unable to attend the live event, you will be provided with access to these videos for review of the content.
If you have any questions about this event, just contact me here.
Please note, no refunds will be available after 15th May, 2023, and only partial refund will be available if online learning has been accessed prior to cancellation.
IN THE REGISTRATION PROCESS, PLEASE DO NOT OPT OUT OF EMAILS.
THIS WILL PREVENT YOU RECEIVING YOUR GUIDED EMAIL SERIES.